Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sparrows Don't Drop Candy Wrappers


By Margaret Gabel
Illustrated by Susan Perl
Published in 1971


“Sparrows don’t drop candy wrappers. 
  Beavers build no billboards.  
 Trees don’t shed tin cans.  
 Dolphins don’t dump chemicals into the water. 
 Bears don’t belch carbon monoxide. 
 And butterflies need no pesticides. 
How did the air, the water, and the earth 
become so polluted that our sources of food,
 our lungs, and our life expectancy
 are eroding? 
We have met the enemy, and he is us, 
as Pogo has pointed out.”


      
My mother gave me this book when I was quite young. Inside the front cover is my bookplate and opposite that is my name, in my childish printing.  I did that to my books a lot.  I remember reading this book over and over.  I remember taking it to heart and feeling worried for the outdoors that I so greatly enjoyed.  The drawings of the sick looking animals made me sad.  

Some of the suggestions in this book are now a little outdated.  Instead of having to find out if there is an aluminum reclamation center near me, I can just put all my recyclables at my curb each week. Instead of putting low wattage bulbs in our lamps, we’re asked to use compact fluorescents. 

But while the particulars may have changed, the sentiment remains the same. Respect the Earth, respect the creatures of the Earth, and respect your fellow man.

Today is Earth Day.  Some of us may be called to devote our lives to Planet Earth, but most of us aren’t.  The rest of us, though, can still show respect for what we've been given by doing our small part. 

“Every living thing – you, me, the cat, the sparrow, trees, butterflies – all of us need good air and pure water and enough food.  The earth gives us air and food and water.  It keeps us alive.  Let’s return the favor.”

 What will I do? 

I’m going to try to use my printer less.  I’ve had a tendency lately to print out every little document or note.  Instead, I can save documents to my computer, or, if necessary, jot a note on a piece of scrap paper.  Oh, and that bush we just planted in our yard?  I’ll try to remember to take care of it!

What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment