Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Churkendoose

Part Chicken, Turkey, Duck and Goose

Written by Ben Ross Berenberg and illustrated by Dellwyn Cunningham
Originally published in 1946 by Wonder Books
Recording narrated by Ray Bolger
My copy of The Churkendoose


I owe my knowledge of the children’s picture book, The Churkendoose, to my eight older brothers and sisters.  Actually, I owe my knowledge of many topics to growing up as the youngest child in a large family.  I can remember hearing the recording of this book playing on a little phonograph, and my siblings singing along,

“It depends on how you look at things,
It depends on how you look at things,
Is a baby chimpanzee any prettier than me?
Well, it depends on how you look at things.”

The story of the Churkendoose begins in the barnyard when an unusual looking egg is found.  The chicken, turkey, duck and goose all take turns sitting on it.  When the egg finally hatches, out comes a strange looking bird.  The other birds make fun of its looks while the Churkendoose tries to tell them that he’s okay just the way he is.  He’s still young.  He’ll discover what he’s good at as he grows.  As far as his looks, well,

“Can it be that I am such a sight
That when others see me they take fright?
           Though I can see what they meant,
When they said my legs are bent.
               Am I ugly? No, I'm just dif-fer-ent.”

  In the end, of course, this being a children’s picture book, the other animals come to see his worth and the tap dancing, rhyming Churkendoose is welcomed into the barnyard family. 

Although I didn’t know it then, I was learning one of the most important lessons ever.  Don’t ever put a person down because they look or act differently than you.  Each person has something important to offer if we give him the chance. 

Much like my large group of sometimes kind, sometimes teasing, sometimes just plain crazy brothers and sisters, our world is full of Churkendooses.  (Churkendeese?)  Sure, we might not all look alike, appreciate the same things, or live our lives the same way, but isn’t that what makes us great?  Imagine what a better place this world would be if we all took this message to heart!

If you want to hear a short clip from the original recording of the Churkendoose by Ray Bolger, click on this interesting link.

http://kiddierekordking.com/library.html 

Thanks to Kathy Claus for this link with the full Churkendoose recording.  You'll find it in list to the left of the page under "week 19".

http://www.kiddierecords.com/2007/index.htm 

3 comments:

  1. I distinctly remember listening to this story on a casette tape! (Side note: Mom, you and your blogging is adorable.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember all of the words to the Churkendoose songs. When we were children, we just liked the story; we didn't know that we were being taught tolerance. Of course, now I have "It depends on how you look at things" stuck in my head. Thanks, Adrian!

    ReplyDelete