Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Legend

by Marie Lu

My daughters and I have been enjoying the popularity of Dystopian Fiction. It all started with The Hunger Games. Now, when I try a new book in this genre and want to tell them about it, I compare my enjoyment of it to the first novel we read in this category. I might say, “Well, it’s no Hunger Games, but it’s definitely worth reading.” Recently, I read Marie Lu’s Legend. This time I told my daughter, “Wow, that’s right up there with The Hunger Games!” I can’t wait for her to read it so we can discuss it. Also, I’ve read that the movie rights have been sold, so I expect this to be another huge hit. 

The story details the lives of two fifteen year olds, both strong and physically fit, smart beyond their years, and extremely devoted to their families. However, they’ve grown up in two very different environments. 

The setting is North America, what used to be the West Coast of the United States, but is now called the Republic. Day, the Republic’s most wanted criminal, is on the run from the law, a sort of Robin Hood, fighting and stealing from the Republic but only to help his poor, oppressed family. He has been taken away from his family by the government, and his mother can’t even know he’s still alive. June is the top military trainee, very wealthy and given every advantage in life. 

The two begin to cross paths when Day, while trying to save his own brother’s life by stealing a vaccine for the plague, is accused of murdering June’s beloved brother. June is assigned the task of finding Day and bringing him to justice, thus avenging her brother’s death. Day, in the meantime, is still trying to help his family. When June enters the slums undercover and meets Day, she begins to question the Republic’s opinion of him. How can this boy who appears to be so caring be capable of the horrible crime he’s been accused of?  She begins to question everything she has been taught in her military training. As a romance between the two main characters begins, their eyes begin to be opened to how the government has been manipulating them.

Will Day be able to save his brother? Will June find out the devastating truth about her own brother’s death? When Day is jailed by the Republic, will June be able to free him in time? 

If you like to read about strong young characters dealing with life in a dystopian future society, along with non-stop action, try Legend, the first book in a trilogy from Marie Lu.

I give this book 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment