Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Golden Star Books

1944-1967



Everyone needs a place they can call their own – however humble and small.  That is what comes to mind when I see these little books.  The troll hole was my place.  You know the area under the stairs that is not very convenient for most people to access?  It was just right for me.  There was a platform there, which at one time, long past, had been a train table for the brothers. I then claimed it as my own.  Some quilts, pillows, a curtain hung for privacy.  A light, some books for reading, some paper for writing.  It was named the troll hole by my friend Karen and me because my older siblings’ troll dolls and troll houses were  stored there.  
 
On a makeshift shelf in the troll hole were some of these tiny books – also at one time belonging to an older sibling – now claimed as my own.  Adventure Tales, by K. and B. Jackson, Illustrated by Gustaf Tenggren is a collection of very short stories of pirates, ships, sailors, and of cowboys and Indians.  Sitting in my troll hole, I could go on an adventure – then perhaps write my own adventure story – away from any prying eyes.  

The other Golden Star Books pictured here I purchased much later to make a small collection.  They were irresistible to me, perhaps because they evoke the feeling of security I felt sitting in the troll hole.  

A place to just be – away from external expectations or any possibility of judgment – is a necessity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment