Pages

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Nature Quests and Quizzes



A Nature Seeker’s Handbook

By Raymond T. Fuller

Copyright 1948



I’m sitting by my window, trying to work at my computer, yet I’ve been distracted by a couple of birds building a nest in the climbing rose just outside.


Signs of Spring are finally revealing themselves and my mind turns again to nature.  I love this little book I found at a thrift store recently and wish I had a copy when my children were young.  They would have enjoyed the treasure hunt and the check list format.  The first section presents 100 nature quests, each given a numerical score based on the challenge level.  For instance, “building a collection of minerals and stones, labeled” is worth 5 points, “knowing 5 spiders and their webs” is worth 10 points while “hearing a skunk or possum utter a noise” is worth 20.  For inspiration and encouragement, tips and fun facts are given for each challenge.


The second part of the book is a hundred question quiz.  The author encourages the reader to continue to explore the outdoors, searching for answers to these questions. 


“If and eggshell is porous, why doesn’t it leak?”


“How do chameleons change color?”
 

“What is fox fire and is it warm?”


The point he makes is that there is so much to know about the natural world and that finding the answers should be fun, yet takes a true inquiring mind and a lifetime of searching.  


So here I am, sitting by my window, watching a couple of birds build a nest (5 points for me) in the climbing rose outside, trying to not be distracted by work on my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment