Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Story of Old Glory



By Albert I. Mayer
Copyright 1970

I stood in front of a huge wall display in the Smithsonian, waiting in anticipation for the brief seconds each half hour that the actual Star Spangled Banner would be revealed to the public.  At the time, this was the best method of preservation they knew of to keep the inspiration for Francis Scott Key’s anthem from disintegrating.  I never considered myself an overly patriotic person.  I love my country, yet am not always proud of it!  Still, when the barrier was slowly lowered as the anthem played, I got chills!  It’s a worn out, disintegrating, faded flag.  Yet, somehow, it inspires.  

This non-fiction book for children all about the history of the United States flag emphasizes one key fact.  The flag has gone through many changes over the years.  The number and arrangement of stars has not been static but has changed along with the growth of our country.  Our country is not the same as it was when the first flag was designed.  It is not the same as it was in 1814 when the anthem was written.  It is not the same as it was 30 years ago when I visited the Smithsonian, even though the number of stars has not changed.  And we can be sure that our country will not be the same in another 30 years.  

Old Glory has transformed along with us.  Will it change again?  Will the number of stars ever be altered?  Will we together adapt to the changes?  I hope so!  And I hope that the words of the Star Spangled Banner will be true:

“O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.”

No comments:

Post a Comment