Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2016

The How and Why Wonder Book of Stars



By Norman Hoss
Illustrated by James Ponter
1972 printing
 
Lately I’ve been nostalgic for the brilliance of the night sky lit up with stars.  Admittedly, this is partly because I’m usually in bed before the stars have a chance to shine!  I really think, though, that if I lived away from city lights I would force myself to stay up late enough to marvel at the night sky undimmed by our ceaseless artificial lighting.

I recall a few times in my life when I’ve had the chance to actually see the Milky Way and to be able to pick out the constellations – times when I’ve been far enough away from civilization to enjoy this wonder.  This summer, I’ve been running a program for kindergarten and first graders at the library.  We read a book or two, and then work on an art project relating to the books.  One week, we focused on stars.  A girl got sort of a far-away look in her eyes and smiled as she told us about her recent vacation.  She talked about seeing “so many” stars and she “actually saw the Big Dipper”.  I’m sure that experience will stay with her forever, just like some of my star gazing memories have.

The night sky seems so magical, but there is science behind the magic, of course.  This book, The How and Why Wonder Book of Stars explains some of that science in a language for children to understand.  But the book also acknowledges the enchantment.  Perhaps the magic is because “our neighbors in the sky are so much a part of everyone’s experience.  Everyone can look up and behold the heavens.”  I really hope that everyone does still have a chance to be spellbound by our amazing night sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment