Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2016

Simplicity Sewing Book



1958 




Sewing clothing is one skill I never picked up.  I’ve looked through the pattern books at fabric stores and thought about how accomplished I would feel piecing together an outfit from scraps of material, yet I never had the patience to give it a try.  

The model on the cover of this Simplicity book sure appears to love sewing her own clothes.  Just look at how she gently caresses her cheek with the pattern.  If I wanted to, I too could learn 28 kinds of seams and 16 kinds of hems.  Detailed instructions for 6 different garments are included in this book.  Pictured below is just one lovely item that I could make.  

At least I know that the pink blouse is the right color for me.  The Simplicity Sewing book has taught me that color is one of the best of beauty aids.  By looking at the handy chart, I see that someone with brown hair and blue eyes should wear light blue, pink, light brown, orange, or green.  At least I think that’s orange.  The colors may have become a little distorted over the last 58 years since the book was published.

While I think I’ll stick to browsing the racks at resale and consignment shops for my clothing, I really do admire those with the skill to make their own.  I also feel quite thankful that I live in a time when I don’t have to sew my own clothes.  After all, if I had that chore to do, when would I find the time to read?



No comments:

Post a Comment