Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2016

A Tree is Nice



By Janice May Udry
Pictures by Marc Simont
Copyright 1956



In A Tree is Nice, Janice May Udry lists many benefits of trees.
 
They shelter and protect, provide fruit to eat, and a place to play.  They are beautiful.
I believe most adults are lucky enough to have a personal connection to at least one tree.  Three come to mind for me.  

In front of the little ranch house where I grew up is a tall, tall evergreen.  I know that it was planted over sixty years ago because there is a picture of my oldest brother standing in front of it on the morning of his First Communion.  In the photo, Chris and the tree are about the same size.  A tradition was born that day, so every subsequent child also had their picture taken in front of that tree on their First Communion day.  When it was time for my picture to be taken, the photographer had to stand across the street to get the whole tree in since by then it towered over the house.  

In my backyard is an ash tree that was planted by my husband when he was a little boy.  It gives shade to our yard and it gave ample leaves for jumping in during the fall.  For many years, that tree held a swing that my daughters loved to play on.  Unfortunately, the emerald ash borer has enjoyed the tree too, so this summer it will have to come down.  It will be a sad day, but I’m looking forward to saving some of the wood.  I think my husband will enjoy building something from the wood of the tree he planted so long ago.

In my front yard is a tree that was planted when my daughter was a little girl.  I’ve written about this tree before.  When first planted, it was a tiny little sapling, less than a foot tall.  Now, it reaches above our two story house.  This tree is strangely tall and thin with sparse branches – not at all like your typical maple.  It makes me smile to see its uniqueness and it reminds me that we should not aim for normal, but we should instead aim to be our unique selves.  

Trees are indeed nice, and so are the memories they bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment