Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

The Three Bears



Pictures by Helen Rowland
Copyright 1952



An apology is due to whichever sibling I may have stolen this book from.  I think it had been around the house for a while before I decided to inscribe my name in crayon inside the front cover.  The backwards "a" and "n" seem to show that I was too young to know any better.

I do clearly remember having this book read to me over and over.  Sitting in the greenish-gold arm chair, next to my mother, I studied the pictures while she read me the story.

It is a classic fairy tale with many variations.  The basic story tells us of the friendly family of three bears - Papa, Mama, and Baby.  One day, while their breakfast porridge cools, they decide to go for a walk.  Soon, a golden-haired little girl comes upon the house, and walks right inside.  Helping herself to the porridge, she finds Papa’s great big bowl too hot, Mama’s medium size bowl too cold, but Baby Bear’s wee little bowl just right.  Therefore, she eats it all up.  That’s not enough for little Goldilocks, though.  She wanders through the rest of the house, trying out the chairs and even the beds.  The silly little girl is caught fast asleep in Baby Bear’s bed by the bear family after they come home and find the destruction she has caused.  Suddenly and belatedly wary, she runs down the stairs and out the door, never to be seen again.

Most obviously, this is a cautionary tale about wandering in places you don’t belong.  Goldilocks should have known to respect the property of the Bear Family by not entering their home uninvited.

To me, though, this is a story that makes me think about what “just right” is.  Not too hot, not too cold.  Not too hard, not too soft.  “Just right” for Goldilocks may not be “just right” for me or you.  “Just right” this year may no longer be “just right” next year.  What strikes me is how little thought is involved in knowing what is “just right”.  It is instinctive.  We know when we have too much or too little of something.  Trust your instincts to know what is “just right” for you.  


No comments:

Post a Comment