Pages

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Ed Emberley’s Drawing Books



Make a World copyright 1972
Fingerprint Drawing Book copyright 2000














I can’t tell you how many times as a child I would sit down with pencil and paper and try to convey an image in my head onto the paper.  It never worked.  Ed Emberley’s drawing books saved the day!  I could follow step-by-step directions and I could also draw simple lines and shapes.  Before these books, I would try to draw a pig and it would end up looking like a mutant mouse blob.  Now, by following step by step instructions, I could actually draw a pig that looked like a pig!  Not very creative, perhaps, but for someone not naturally talented in art, it was a huge confidence booster.  



Lesson learned, loud and clear:

If something seems impossible and frustration sets in, take a deep breath, break it down into simple steps, and start working.  Just because innate talent is missing doesn’t mean I should give up.  I can still get results I can be proud of!

Disclaimer:  These drawing were created by Laura and Michelle!


No comments:

Post a Comment