Pages

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ookpik in the City

By Barbara Shook Hazen
Pictures by Irma Wilde

Copyright 1968


This is not the same Ookpik book I remember from my childhood.  I bought this when my own children were young because I had remembered the cute little furry yellow owl from another picture book.  The book had belonged to my sister and if I remember correctly, the cover of the book had an Ookpik with big plastic googly eyes.  Even better, my sister also had her very own stuffed yellow furry Ookpik, also with big googly eyes.  I think I was a little jealous of her for that!


In this book, Ookpik longs to see more of the world that his land of Arctic snow.  He said goodbye to all his Artic friends and boarded a plane with Princilla, a dog from the big city.  “Tak-vow-woo-shee”, he said.  That’s Eskimo for “goodbye, everyone”.  He gets to experience skyscrapers with neon lights, cement, crowds of people, and ice cream.  Unfortunately, when boarding a subway, Ookpik and Princilla are separated and Ookpik is lost and alone.  While he does find his friend again, Ookpik has realized that he is homesick for his Arctic home and happily returns back to his old friends.


Like me, Ookpik longs for adventure, but also realizes how comforting it is to return home again.  As much as I enjoy vacation, seeing new sights, and hiking new trails, I always look forward to coming home to sit on my own couch while enjoying a cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment