Pages

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Professional Guide’s Manual – Volume I and II



Written for North Star Guide Association
By George Leonard Herter and Jacques P. Herter
Copyright 1962

 




















I picked these two books up at a local thrift store not too long ago.  They caught my eye because at a quick glance through one of the books, I noticed a fishing map that includes Northwest Wisconsin, an area where, through the years, we have spent many summer vacations.  I just picked them up to take a better look this week and have decided to share a few important bits of information I’ve learned from them.

1)  If you want to keep deer away from a camp or resort, just get a sack of lion manure to scatter around.  The deer will not go near it.

2)  Pond scum soup is a delicious, healthy meal.  If your ponds are frozen over, just chop some pond scum out of the ice and melt it over a fire.

3) Your car radiator usually collects a nice assortment of insects that can be used for bait.
4) Mayonnaise is better than butter for winter camping because it is high in food value and spreads more easily.
5) Do not run over dead or alive porcupines with a car or truck.  The quills might cause a blowout.
6) Never pull a string hanging over a bar in Alaska.  If you do so, you will have to pay for drinks on the house.
I hope you will find this information as helpful as I have!  Now, it’s time to go outside and look for some pond scum.  Care to come over for dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment