Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

What Did You Do When You Were a Kid?


Pastimes From Past Times
 

By Fred Sturner with Adolph Seltzer

Illustrated by Bill Charmatz


Copyright 1973


Part nostalgia and part how-to, this book was written as a guide to the children of the seventies from children of the 30’s and 40’s. The children from an earlier time had to occupy themselves without a television and with few store-bought toys.  The authors tell how to make your own scooter out of an orange crate and give directions for making paper airplanes and matchbook belts and bracelets.  The rules for different marble games are given, along with how to play a game of Stick Ball or Steal the Flag.   Some of the pastimes in the book were popular during my childhood.  Others had been replaced by more modern activities.


As a child of the seventies, what do I remember doing when I was a kid? (Besides reading books, of course!)  Sure, I spent some time watching television.  I remember watching The Brady Bunch, Gilligan’s Island, I Dream of Jeannie, Family Affair, My Three Sons, Zoom, Fantasy Island, The Love Boat, Carol Burnett, and The Muppets. But much of my time was spent in other activities.



I remember:


Backyard games - Red Light Green Light, Spud, Mother May I?, Freeze Tag


Card games – Go Fish, Old Maid, Spoons, War


Board Games – Aggravation, Operation, Candy Land


Listening to albums and 45’s on the record player


Colorforms, Yo-Yos, Slinkies, and Silly Putty


Jumping rope and Hopscotch


ViewMaster, Lite- Bright, Spirograph, Etch-a-Sketch


Bike riding, playing at the park, playing in the sandbox

What did you do when you were a kid?

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I just love nostalgia! We also loved Operation, Yo-yos, jumping rope, hopscotch (best game in the world. then), etch-a-sketch. Then there were music cassettes, board games of Jack straws, Kerplunck, mouse trap; Playdoh, lego, jigsaws, marbles, hide n seek; and great TV: Bagpuss, The Muppets, Charlie’s Angels, MASH, Lassie... Great times! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I have forgotten Playdoh and Mousetrap? I've never heard of Bagpuss. I'll have to look that one up!

      Delete
    2. Bagpuss is the best! It was a kid's programme on the BBC. Bagpuss was "an old, saggy cloth cat, baggy, and a bit loose at the seams". You must try and see a copy of one of the episodes. I think there were only 13 or so made, although it seemed to go on forever when I was little. We were simple folk in those days!! :0)

      Delete
  2. Talk about going down on memory lane! It's a little sad to know that kids these days missed out on such pop culture icons, but we could always help bring them back while enjoying the nostalgia of it all. I know that's what I do when I dust off my old View-Master and hand it over to my daughter. She absolutely loves the classic Disney reels!

    ReplyDelete