Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Found in a Used Book



Last week I wrote about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.  I had purchased the book used from an online retailer.  While reading, I came across two different loose paper advertisements that were probably once used as bookmarks. What an unexpected bonus! 
 
The first is an ad for J&J Television Service in Jamaica, New York.  As a special offer, for a limited time only, they will charge $1.75 for a service call, rather than the usual $3.50. The offer is good until September 1st, with no year noted.  Unfortunately, no phone number is listed, so I guess I won’t be able to take them up on their offer.  Besides tv repair, they could have fixed my home or auto radio, my phonograph or my toaster. 


The other ad is for Sister Columbiana – reader, advisor, and healer.  She claims to be unlike ordinary fortune tellers.  She will give me the full secret of how to control the thoughts and actions of anyone I desire!  Her advice never fails!  Her location is also Jamaica, New York and the ad is good for half off her services.  I wonder if she’s still at the corner of Liberty and 170th Street.  


These little pieces of paper are so interesting to me that I wonder if I should start saving those annoying flyers sometimes found stuck under the windshield wiper on the car.  Someday, that ad for computer repair or satellite tv installation may be intriguing to someone.  Will the next generation find today’s advertisements as quaint as I find these?    

I’ll tuck these two back inside the book for the next reader to discover.

1 comment: