Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Home Care of the Infant and Child



By Frederick F. Tisdall, M.D.

Copyright 1942


I can see that this comprehensive book would have been invaluable to a new parent.  It covers everything imaginable including signs of pregnancy, diapering, healthy weight and nutrition for babies, and dealing with common ailments and diseases.  


Being far from this stage in my life, I concentrated instead on the chapter entitled Toys and the Play Life of the Child, assuming it would cover the importance of reading to children.


Well, it did, but not in a way that I agree with!


I quote, “At the age of 4 or 5 children should be given books and coloured pictures of the ordinary things that he sees about him, animals, fruits, flowers, beds, trains, autos, and so on.”


Not until the age of 4 or 5?  Really?  


Well, I suppose when this was written board books had not yet been invented.  Still, even a 2 year old can learn to listen to books without tearing the pages.  


I realize also in 1942 many families did not have the money to purchase books for their children and that the quiet atmosphere of hometown libraries at the time discouraged parents from bringing their toddlers.


I am grateful for the changes that have occurred over the years in the attitudes of reading to very young children, the quality of writing for children, and in the library’s stance on exuberance.  I see caregivers pouring into the library with their noisy, excited little ones for storytime and I’m pleased that these children are exposed at such a young age to the treasures that can be found in books.  Although I have to say that sometimes I’m also glad to see them go straight upstairs to the children’s department!


I say no age is too young to begin reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment