Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Something Old



Hail Holy Queen
A book of prayer and counsel for Catholic girls and women
Copyright 1928


The inscription inside this prayer book reads “To Mother from Ken - September 8, 1950”.  Originally a gift from my uncle to his mother, this book was my “something old” 25 years ago this month.  Thus, the nice white eyelet cover.  Topped with a few pink roses, this is what I held in my hands while walking down the aisle on my way to starting a new family. 

This book carries significant meaning for me.

I think of people who shared that day with us who are no longer living who unselfishly gave so much of themselves.

I think of the family I now have, a husband and two now grown daughters, that started on that day twenty-five years ago.    

I remember the words I wrote for our wedding program that still hold perfectly true today:

 
Mike and Adrian would like to thank you, their families and friends, for sharing this day with them.  They want you to understand how important each of you is to them but find it difficult to express.   It is through the love and joy that you have so freely given to them that they, in turn, can give love and joy to each other.  While all individuals have unique talents and gifts, the one gift Adrian and Mike see in each of you is love.  This is not a love based on feelings only, but a love based on actions.  You have taught them from the moments of their births until the present that love is a way of living every day, not just a feeling held in their hearts.  They hope and pray that they can live by the examples shown to them by their parents, brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles, nieces and nephews, and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment