Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Creativity and Mother Goose



 by Mother Goose and Mother Claus


Looking at this photo of Adam and me holding a pail of water while walking up the hill in front of our house, I estimate that this book is close to forty years old.  How is it possible that I can remember an event from forty years ago?  Why is it that my memory of that day is so clear?  Maybe because I thought it was really special that I was able to help my Mother with her school project for a change.  Or perhaps it was fun getting dressed up and having my picture taken.  


With further thought, I realize it’s probably because of lessons learned that day.  


  • ·         School projects can be fun.

  • ·         You are never, ever too old to play.

But especially:

  • ·         Creativity makes the world a better place.

Looking closely at the photos of me and my siblings acting out Mother Goose rhymes for my Mom’s book, I see some very familiar items.  My brother’s Mellow Yellow record player is sitting on a table in his room.  I remember listening to John Denver albums on it.  I have fond memories of that old playhouse that used to be in the back yard!  And that child-sized rocking chair?  It’s still in my parent’s living room!  What’s really scary is that I think I still have the wig that I’m wearing in the photo depicting “There was a little girl who had a little curl”.  Maybe it’s time for a re-creation of that photo!

 
 

The biggest surprise was seeing my old Raggedy Ann doll sitting atop a pumpkin shell for “Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater”.  I just wrote about Raggedy Ann recently and there she was, smiling at me from an old photograph. 

The most creative part of this old book is the last several pages where Mother Claus wrote in a few original rhymes and limericks.

Here's an example:
       
          There was a young man named Andy
          Who climbed every hill that was handy,
          On arriving up there
          He breathed in the air
          And said, "Wow, I feel just dandy."


Mother Goose rhymes can teach young children so much - rhythm and rhyme, counting skills, memorization, beginning storytelling – just to name a few.  But they can also just be fun!

2 comments:

  1. I would be 100% okay with helping you recreate that picture, mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Michelle. Maybe next time you're home!

    ReplyDelete