Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Adventures of Raggedy Ann

Written and illustrated by Johnny Gruelle





 














Almost before I can remember, I was a fan of all things Raggedy Ann.  I have a few items around my home that will never let me forget that time in my life.  One is my favorite Christmas ornament – this pink paper mache Raggedy Ann.  Another is this little round Raggedy Ann rug that was always on my bedroom floor.  I have no idea how it has survived the years in such great shape!  My original Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls have long since gone to rag doll heaven.  This one pictured here is a recent acquisition from a thrift store.  She was lying forlornly on a shelf, begging to be taken to a loving home filled with children’s books.  That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!




The book pictured here is from my childhood.  It is a collection of some of Johnny Gruelle’s original Raggedy Ann stories that were first published in 1918.  


Raggedy Ann, while on her exciting adventures, often runs into some problem that she needs to solve.  She sits down quietly, rubs her yarn hair with her rag hands and all the other dolls knows she is thinking.  Sometimes, a hindrance interferes with her thoughts.  It may be a rip in her rag head.  Or it may be that her cotton fluff brains have become soaked.
Whatever the problem is, she stops to get it fixed.  Her friend the French Doll closes up the rip in Ann’s head with a pin.  A caring adult replaces her wet fluff with brand new cotton. 

Clearing our own heads is not always as simple as closing up a rip with a safety pin or sewing in some new fluffy cotton.  Still, we can take a lesson from Raggedy Ann.  If your thoughts feel scattered, take some time to refresh your mind.  It may be a walk in the outdoors, a cup of hot tea, or an afternoon nap.  Then return to your thoughts.  You just might find the obstacles you face a little easier to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment