Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

The World of…



Reference Library Books from B.P.C. Publishing
Copyright dates between 1968 and 1972

I must have been about eight or nine when I received these books.  I remember quite clearly the day they were purchased.  I had taken a ride to the College of DuPage with my Mother so she could purchase school books for the college classes she was registered for.  I was allowed, or rather encouraged, to browse through the children’s books in the college bookstore.  I’m sure these six little paperbacks here were on the sale table.  After all, my Mom was a college student, and everyone knows that college students don’t have extra money lying around! 

While I do remember referring to these books during my grade school years, I really haven’t used them at all since then.  Still, they have somehow survived the many times I’ve weeded my book collection to make space for more.  

I think I know why I haven’t been able to let them go.  Whenever I look at them, I remember that trip to the college bookstore.  These books remind me of one of the most important life lessons ever.  It is one that I learned while watching my Mother take class after class all throughout my own grade school, high school, and even college years.  

Never stop learning new things.  It can mean taking a class, reading a book on a new subject, watching a documentary, talking to someone who’s an expert in an unfamiliar field, exploring a museum, or trying a new craft or skill.  Never, ever stop learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment