Pages

Sunday, November 24, 2013

The All-Holidays Book of Jane and John



Copyright 1929
By Marshall Jones Company, Inc.


I really have to stop going to the thrift store.  Because I really don’t need any more old books.  But then again, if I hadn’t gone today, I may have missed this little gem.  Sixteen different holidays are explained, all in verse, in a clear and interesting way for young children.  What’s so great about this book is the rebus form.  Even the youngest child can gain confidence and reading skills by helping to read this book using the picture symbols.  What a fun book for an adult and child to read together.  


It begins with a letter to a little Book-lover:

            I walked miles to look,
            Through all of the shops, to find just the right book,
            And at last I found this one of Janey and John,
            Of their plays, the adventures they started upon,
            Of their parties and friends, of the dear funny ways
            They planned celebrations for gay holidays! 
            I am sure you will love it, but best of all, too

            There’s a book at the back to be made just by you!

 

What makes this book even more special is that personalized section at the back. 
 
A child can record their own holiday memories in word and picture.  I’m a little disappointed, though, that this book was never written in.  A book plate pasted at the front of the book reads “Elizabeth Anne Frew 1946”.  I would have loved to hear how little Elizabeth spent her holidays that year!  





No comments:

Post a Comment