Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Pooh Cook Book



By Virginia H. Ellison
Illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard
copyright 1969


After glancing at another Goodwill store find, I find myself suddenly in the mood for a tea party.  It is cold and snowy outside – a very blustery day.  It’s almost eleven o’clock and I find, like Pooh, that I’d like a little smackerel of something.  


Fortunately, I’m in possession of a nice big jar of honey.  This little cookbook has many recipes and most involve at least a little honey.  Sprinkled throughout the book are quotes from A.A. Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh books.


Here’s a nice simple recipe for Homemade Snow and Honey using a tray of ice cubes and 2 Tablespoons of warmed honey.  Just crush the ice into a powdery snow and pour the warmed honey over it.  


That sounds like a delicious little treat, but for today, I think I’ll try the Honey Hot Chocolate for a Very Blusterous Day Outside.


Simmer ¼ cup of water, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa for 2 minutes until it is smooth.  Add a tablespoon of honey and ¾ cup of milk and heat.


Pooh is a very simple bear who takes delight in little things.  A cozy house on a winter day – a little something special for lunch.  It’s the simple things in life that warm the heart. 



The more it
SNOWS-tiddely-pom,
The more it
GOES-tiddly-pom
The more it
GOES-tiddly-pom
On snowing




From The House at Pooh Corner

2 comments:

  1. It does sound good, I love Winnie The Pooh. To wake up seeking adventure every day is the way to live.
    M.C.V. Egan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I have to have this book for my son! He will love it!
    Tana

    ReplyDelete