Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Fortunately


Written and illustrated by Remy Charlip 
Copyright 1964


1993 edition of Fortunately
While the book pictured here is not the exact issue from my childhood, the text and illustrations are the same.  I bought this one when my children were small so that they could experience the humorous story that I remembered from long ago.  


While Ned is on his way to a surprise party across the country, he runs into both good luck and bad luck.  

“Fortunately a friend loaned him an airplane.  Unfortunately the motor exploded.  Fortunately, there was a parachute in the airplane.  Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute.” 

Thus goes Ned’s attempt to reach the party.  Just when you think he’s in luck, Ned runs into another problem.  Just when you think he’s doomed, Ned has a stroke of good luck.


Like Ned, sometimes we experience good luck and sometimes we experience bad luck.  And sometimes what we perceive as bad luck is actually a blessing in disguise. Unfortunately, a few years ago, my whole department was laid off by the company where I had worked for many years.  Fortunately, that experience led me to a career in libraries that I’m really excited about.   

And sometimes we can take the bad luck and find something positive in it.  Unfortunately, it’s the first day of Spring and 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside.  Fortunately, I’ve got a good book to read and a warm blanket on my lap!  


Here’s to looking on the bright side!

1 comment:

  1. Adrian, another good book for my son and me to read together! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete