Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

New Ritual of the Order Eastern Star

Copyright 1929 
By the General Grand Chapter Order of the Eastern Star

and the Holy Bible



So much can be learned about a person from looking at their bookshelves, even long after they are gone.  These books belonged to my Aunt Birdie, otherwise known as Madeleine Park.  Until I saw them recently, I had no idea she was, at one time in her life, a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.  Inside the cover, in her own handwriting, are a few notes about the Order and a listing of names and addresses of officers of the local chapter.  Under her name, she also wrote in her telephone number, 3073-J.  


Mystery has always surrounded the Order of the Eastern Star.  Their rituals and beliefs are seen as secretive and controversial to some faiths.


The Order describes itself as a social fraternity of people with deep spiritual convictions, open to all faiths except no faith.  They describe their rituals as character-building and beautiful.  


Handwritten on a small piece of graph paper found inside one of the books, I found this Closing Ode.

 

If I have wounded any soul today

If I have caused one foot to go astray

If I have walked in my own willful way

Dear Lord, forgive.  




Regardless of feelings about the Order, these are words of wisdom that I would like to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment