Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Adrian Ann Claus


By Marilyn Claus
1970


 



What more could a little girl who loves books want than a book about herself?  This book was written and illustrated for me by my Mother when I was just four years old.  It consists of photos, original paintings, and simple text all about my little world.  At the time, we were unaware of the long term effects of tape on paper, but the brown stains do not take away from the beauty of this book.


I specifically remember the little painting of the gumball machine.  Just after she finished painting it, my Mother walked out of the room telling me not to touch it because it was wet.  Now, I’m sure that if she hadn’t told me that, I never would have thought of touching it.  Instead, the slight smudge of the gumballs will always be there.  I just couldn’t resist!


I particularly like the book's closing lines.


 “Adrian is a busy little girl.  In the summer she goes swimming and plays outside.  In the winter she goes sledding and plays in the snow.  Sometimes she watches television with her brothers and sisters.  And all year she likes to read books.  Now Wee has a book all about herself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment