Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

by Joan Aiken
copyright 1962



It was summertime. As usual, the big box fan was blowing into the living room. I sat in a very tight space between a big, soft armchair and a hutch. I was very small, and could always squeeze into cozy hiding spaces. There may have been a lot of activity around me. The console television was probably on, playing The Brady Bunch or Gilligan’s Island (and not the reruns).  Various conversations may have been taking place among my many family members. But I was in my own little world; close to the action but not actually taking part. Instead, I was wandering around the world of the latest book I picked up. There is a good chance it was this book since it was one of my very favorites – and it still is!


The Wolves of Willoughby Chase has a bit of everything for the child’s imagination.  You’ll find an incredibly wealthy family, a kind but very poor old aunt, a beautiful estate, a cruel governess, a secret passage, a horrible orphanage, an exciting escape, and most importantly - a perfectly happy ending.  


Reading this book, hiding in my safe little corner of the house, I could experience the thrill of Sylvia’s and Bonnie’s adventures, the misery of their suffering, and the strength of their companionship, all without any true danger.  

Books were often an escape from the real world, but that’s not all.  By escaping into an imaginary world, I could gain wisdom and strength from vicariously experiencing a fictional character’s trials and triumphs.  I did not run away from the horrid adults in The Wolves of Willoughby Chase or experience a grueling two-month journey to find help, but I was able to learn that while many people are kind and trustworthy, all are not.  I did not have my opulent wardrobe and dazzling toy room ripped away from me, but I learned that wealth is nowhere near as important as friendly companionship and kindness.


Yes, stories can be an escape from reality, but they can also teach us lessons that we can take back with us into the real world.

1 comment:

  1. This is another of my favorite childhood books! By the way, now that I've discovered your blog, I'm going backwards through your archive. I'm interested in seeing if you have yet another of my favorites, The Hundred Dresses, by Eleanor Estes. Thank you for creating such a delightful tribute to gently worn and much beloved books.

    ReplyDelete