Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

All-time Favorites



We all have traits, quirks, and abilities that come from our parents and some that are uniquely our own. Two traits I’m sure I have inherited from my Mother.  One I treasure, but the other one I regret.  The first is obvious; a love of books and reading.  The second trait that I could happily do without is sleeplessness.  Although I do have to say that those quiet middle of the night hours can inspire thoughts and recollections that won’t come during the busyness of the day.  

Not too long ago, my sleepless mother told me of a list she wrote during one of her long nights.  Born in 1927, she has had many, many years of reading behind her.  She decided to jot down a list of her top twelve favorite books of all time.  

                                A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott
Spring Came on Forever by Bell Streeter Aldrich
Cry the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones
Heaven Tree Trilogy by Edith Pargeter
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Andersonville by Mackinlay Kanto 
The Call of the Wild by Jack London
               
I was happy to see that I’ve read six of those books during my lifetime so far.  I’ve decided to set a goal to read the other six within the next year.  

The first of these three is Ivanhoe.  I checked it out from the library and I’ve started it, but I’m finding the older style of language a little slow to get through.  Sometimes I have to go back and re-read a paragraph so I can grasp the plot.  The impending due date will keep me plugging away.

The second will be Heidi.  I know the story from watching the lovely movie that Shirley Temple starred in, but have yet to read the book.  It’s on my shelf, patiently waiting.  I’ll let you know when I finish it.

The third will be The Call of the Wild.  I’ve noticed that the Kindle edition is only .99.  Maybe this will be the first book I get for my future Kindle.  (Christmas is coming)

Next will be the Heaven Tree Trilogy.  I’ll have to ask if I can borrow this one, but it may be a few months before I get to it.  Perhaps this will be good summer reading?

Another book from the list I have yet to read is Cry the Beloved Country.  After checking out the reviews, I anticipate cherishing this read.

Last, I’ll tackle Andersonville.  This one sounds like it will be a tough but rewarding novel.  Historical Fiction has always been a favorite genre, bringing the past to life.

Besides inspiring me to read some unfamiliar books, this list has got me thinking of my own favorites.  Not having quite as many reading years behind me, I feel like I can only list seven so far.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
We Took to the Woods by Louise Dickinson Rich
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
               
What are your favorites?  Not just the treasures you’ve read this past year, but your life-long all-time favorites?              

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea...I should ask my relatives for their all time favorites so I can compare :)

    ReplyDelete