Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

“Every heart tells a story” ornament



It might seem like a strange hobby for a book-lover, but I’ve been enjoying cutting up old, unwanted books in order to make something new.  I like to purchase books that my library is selling after their circulating days are over.  I get to reuse materials and support the library at the same time! 


This year, an idea for a simple Christmas ornament came to mind, and I’d like to share it with you. 

First, I cut small hearts from scraps of paper.  For each ornament, I used 3 book page hearts sandwiched between two patterned paper hearts.  I happened to have a heart punch to make the job easier, but you could just use a heart stencil, scissors, and a steady hand.  

On the plain white side of one of the patterned pieces, I printed out the phrase “Every heart tells a story” several times.  Then, I made sure the phrase was in the center of a cut-out heart.  

After making my heart sandwich with the printing on the top, I simply ran it through my sewing machine, leaving six inches or so of thread on either end.

After tying a bead or charm onto the bottom of the heart, tying a loop onto the top, and spreading open the pages, my book page heart ornaments are ready for gifting! 

And how true it is: every heart does tell a story!

1 comment: