Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

A non-technical Kindle Fire review from someone who loves vintage books.

My Kindle and really old books




I truly love the feel of an old book in my hands.  It’s like I’m holding a small piece of each person who has previously read and loved that book.  That an author can put words to paper that have the ability to change lives or the ability to transport the reader to another world is something that will always amaze me.  That I can hold the same volume that an ancestor, long gone from this world, also held with their own hands is equally amazing.  If I feel the need for a little peace in my life, just walking up to my dusty book shelves and reading the well-loved titles has a calming effect.  
 
But guess what?  I’m now the owner of a Kindle Fire!  Now that I’ve used my new little device for several weeks now, I thought I’d share some thoughts on it.  (Yes, it was supposed to be my Christmas gift, but I just couldn’t wait to open it!)  


This review has absolutely nothing to do with the Kindle’s features, how well it works, or the many apps available.  I only wish to share some positive feelings about an e-reader from a person who will always love the beaten and battered paper copy of books.  


  • ·         I can carry around many, many books in a thin, 5.5 inch by 8 inch device.  If I’m headed out the door, I don’t need to think about which book I’m in the mood for.  I can grab dozens at once.



  • ·         When I can’t sleep in the middle of the night and need to read for a while, all I have to do is turn on my Kindle and the whole page is brilliantly lit up without having to turn on a lamp.



  • ·         If I’m not sure of the meaning of a word or want to know more about a geographical location in a story, I can just lightly touch a word and immediately get the information I’m looking for.



  • ·         If I’m in the kitchen preparing a meal or eating by myself at the table, there is no need to figure out how to prop a book open.  The Kindle just sits there on an open page and a quick swipe of a finger will take me to the next page.



  • ·         Sometimes while reading I’ll think of an idea – perhaps something I may want to write about for a blog post or a book review.  All I have to do is hold my finger on a word, give a swipe, then type in a note to myself.  It will be saved for when I need it.



  • ·         I can still check out books for free from my Public Library and access them on my Kindle!



Again, I don’t want e-readers to replace books, nor do I believe they will, at least not in my lifetime.  I could come up with a list of the cons of my Kindle too.  For instance, one joy of reading involves longing to share a great book with someone else.    A digital copy is much more difficult to pass around to family and friends!  Still, as an avid reader, the Kindle has proven to be a convenient tool.  It may look out of place on my dusty shelf, but so far it hasn’t been away from my hands long enough to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment