Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Kate Greenaway’s Book of Games



1977 edition of 1889 book 

I’ve had this little book since childhood.  My name is printed neatly inside and my nameplate is pasted in.  I do remember reading through it often and looking at the drawings of Victorian era children in their long, confining dresses.  Some of the games, such as hopscotch and follow-the-leader, I also played as a child and children are still playing today.  In some cases, the game is similar, but the name is different.

I always enjoyed a good game of Telephone, whether played at a party or in girl scouts.  All players sit in a circle.  One player whispers a sentence into the next player’s ear.  This continues around the circle until the last person hears the sentence.  This player then announces what he heard.  Usually, somewhere along the line, the original sentence has been misheard, and the players laugh at the miscommunication.  The exact same game was played in Kate Greenaway’s time, although she calls it Russian Scandal, rather than Telephone!

Reading through this book, I see a common theme.  You don’t need lots of toys or expensive equipment to have fun.  Ghost in the Graveyard - Red Light, Green Light - Mother May I?  These are some of my most remembered games from childhood.  No equipment necessary! Others, such as skipping rope or flying kites can be accomplished with household items, or can be homemade.  What is needed most of all are willing people and some space – outdoors or in.  The plastic toys are long gone and forgotten.  What remains are memories of carefree fun and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment