Pages

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Johnny Lion’s Book



An I CAN READ book
By Edith Thatcher Hurd
Pictures by Clement Hurd
Copyright 1965
I recall my original copy of Johnny Lion’s Book had a white cover.  I had forgotten about it until I stumbled across this one at a thrift store.  Growing up, I had this book read to me over and over, and a little later, it was a well-loved early reader.  Reading it now, I realized that the lesson in this book went completely over my head at the time.

Johnny Lion has just learned how to read.  To keep their child occupied while they are out hunting, Mother and Father Lion give Johnny a new book.  Johnny was happy to have a story to read about another little lion, Oscar P., who was also left alone while his parents went out hunting. 

Unlike Johnny, Oscar P. did not have a book to read and he didn’t want to play, so he decided to go out all by himself into the world.  At first, all was well for little Oscar P.  Soon, however, he started to get hungry, and tired, and hot.  Cooling off in a river, Oscar had a close call with a scary alligator. After running and running to get away, Oscar P. became lost.  Fortunately, his parents found him.  Unfortunately, he is punished for disobeying his parents and is sent to bed right after supper.

Johnny just finished his exciting book when his parents came in the door.  Johnny told Mother and Father all about his exciting adventures, exploring in the wild, getting chased, and becoming lost.  But Johnny was just fooling!  It wasn’t him who had those adventures – it was Oscar P.!   Johnny was home all day, reading his book.  Because he was such a good little Lion, he got to stay up very, very late!

Johnny ended his day tucked snuggly into bed.  Oscar P. did have great adventures, but in the end, Johnny was happy to be himself.

I didn’t understand the book within a book theme as a child, but I eventually learned the lesson, loud and clear.  Books are wonderful things!  They let us experience adventures, emotions, hardships, and triumphs all while sitting still.  I grew up knowing that one should never leave for an appointment without a book in hand.  That time spent waiting in a doctor’s office is never boring if one can dive into a story.  I remember my mother telling me that once a person learns how to read, they never have a reason to be bored.  I recently shared that statement during a storytime at the library, and a second grade girl nodded and enthusiastically agreed with me.  I was so pleased to find such a young kindred spirit!  




No comments:

Post a Comment