Pages

Sunday, June 22, 2014

No Flying in the House



By Betty Brock
Original copyright 1970

A few years back, little snatches of this book started creeping into my mind.  I remembered stumbling upon it as a young child while browsing the stacks at my public library.  At the time, I loved the idea of not only being able to fly around the house, but also having a tiny talking dog of my very own.  What little girl wouldn’t?  

When I started thinking about the book, I had no recollection of the title – just that it involved a girl who could fly and a little talking dog.  I went to my favorite database that many public libraries offer access to, Novelist Plus.  With a simple keyword search of “flying girl talking dog”, I was able to rediscover No Flying in the House.  

Rereading this many years later, I can still see the wonder in the story.  Annabel, a very young girl, cared for by Gloria, her three-inch tall canine guardian, learns a secret.   Annabel is actually half human, half fairy.  One proof of her fairy ancestry is that she is able to kiss her elbow.  

(Anyone who reads this book stops reading to attempt to kiss her own elbow – go ahead – try it.)

Eventually, Annabel learns to fly and is thrilled with her new-found ability.  The catch is that by the age of seven, she has an important decision to make.  She’ll have to choose between the fairy world and the human world.  However, if she chooses the fairy world, she will never meet her parents or belong to a family.  The choice:  the excitement and prestige of being a fairy, or the companionship and love of family and friends.  
 
Annabel, who has grown up without parents, longs for a mother to love her and a father to playfully toss her up in the air.  Her loneliness guides her choice, and leads to a joyful reunion with her human father and fairy mother.  

In some ways, I guess this is a choice we all make, every day.  Relationships with others vs. money, prestige, or thrills.  Which is more important to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment