Pages

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Nancy Drew



The Sign of the Twisted Candles
This volume copyright in 1933

The Clue in the Old Album
This volume copyright in 1947

The volumes pictured here were both recently acquired from a thrift store.  I read a few Nancy Drew books as a child, but I was never a true fan of the teen-aged sleuth.  What I enjoyed more than the books were the television shows that aired in the 70’s: the Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys Mysteries.  Actually, what I remember most about the shows was that I thought that Shaun Cassidy was cute, while my older sister much preferred Parker Stevenson. We had a few friendly arguments about who was right, and more than a little teasing!  

As far as the books, I guess I always thought that Nancy’s attention to wearing really cute outfits was a little annoying.  If I was headed out the door to chase down a dangerous suspect, you can be sure that comfort would come way before style.  No running in super-cute pumps for me! 

I recently read The Sign of the Twisted Candles for the first time.  Nancy and her friends come upon an old inn when waylaid by a storm.  Nancy pulls her sleek little roadster into the drive, starting the mystery of the 100-year old man practically held prisoner in the top floor of the inn.  She not only solves the mystery of an orphan’s parentage, but also ends a long standing family feud.  Her friendships are tested and her life is endangered.  Yet through it all Nancy remains calm and unflustered.  This demeanor allows her to think clearly even in the most stressful of situations.  

If I can take any lesson away from the Nancy Drew books, it is this:  Stay calm, take a deep breath, and don’t panic.  You’ll solve more problems that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment