Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

My Vacation at Jack & Jill Ranch


Outdoor vacations were a central, much loved part of my husband Mike’s childhood.  Each summer, the family spent a week at a little cabin on a lake; fishing, swimming, and hiking.  In fact, if it weren’t for the love of the outdoors, his parents, Victor and Madge, never would have met.  Before marriage and children, they each attended week-long vacations at the Jack and Jill Ranch in Rothbury, Michigan.  At the time, the Ranch was intended as an outdoor vacation destination for young adults, ages 18 to 35.  While they never spent a week together at the Ranch, they met at a social group for “Ranchers” who lived in the Chicago area.

This little souvenir booklet is hand dated by Madge, 1955.  In it are a few signatures and addresses of friends just met.  

The lyrics to fireside songs that have been passed on by them to later generations of Litwins are included.  

                Oh, Mr. Moon, Moon, lovely Mr. Moon.
                Won’t you please shine down on me.
                Oh, Mr. Moon, Moon, lovely Mr. Moon,
                Hiding behind that tree.
                Cause when your life’s in danger,
                And you’re on the run,
                There’s a man behind you with a great big gun.
                Oh Mr. Moon, Moon, lovely Mr. Moon
                Won’t you please shine down on,
                Never cease to shine on,
                Moon shine down on me.

According to the calendar page, on Thursday there was a dress-up dance and a beach party, Friday a horse show, and Saturday brought a weinie roast and farewell.

Inside the booklet is a postcard, written and addressed but never sent, in Madge’s handwriting.

“Hi, Having wonderful time, weather is nice”

I imagine she was having so much fun that she didn’t have time to send the card.  I also imagine that once she got back home to her coworkers in the Steno Department, she had plenty to say about her week.  While I’ll never know the details of her summer of 1955, I do remember the smile on her face whenever the Jack and Jill Ranch came up.   

What I picture is a simpler time. One full of fresh air, laughter, and friendship. 

2 comments:

  1. That little book reminds me of where I live. I'm in a vacation area of northern Wisconsin. A wienie roast and farewell...sounds like a lovely time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern Wisconsin is actually where my in-laws ended up. They retired to a house on the St. Croix Flowage. I guess it reminded them of their youthful summer weeks!

      Delete