Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Food Garden



Written by Edna Blair and illustrated by Laurence Blair

Copyright 1943

You might think it’s too early to start planning for next year’s garden, but I am already arranging our future crops in my mind and on paper.  For various reasons, we decided not to have much of a vegetable garden this year.  At the same time, I’ve come to a greater realization of the health and amazing taste of fresh from the earth produce. 

Previously, I’ve purchased peaches from the store and tried to serve them to my daughters.  Neither of them cared for the taste or texture.  Then, early this August while in West Virginia, they were able to enjoy peaches straight from the tree.  I think it was weeks before my youngest daughter stopped talking about and dreaming of peaches.  In fact, when she reads this post, she’ll probably start salivating over the warm, juicy, fresh from the tree peach she first tasted recently. 

Personally, I can’t bear to eat a tomato that is purchased at the grocery store – especially in the winter.  Only a tomato that has been vine-ripened and recently picked actually tastes like a tomato.  The rest must be made from some sort of plastic.

This book, published in 1943, details the basics of growing your own food in a clear and concise way.  Black and white illustrations throughout detail methods of transplanting, staking, and composting and also depict the pests that may attack your harvest. 
The original purpose of this book was for those inexperienced citizens who wanted to aid the war effort by growing their own Victory Garden.  Some quotes from the foreword, though, are still so true today.

“Authorities in the field of nutrition and experts in the United States 
Department of Agriculture tell us that for years the people of this country,
 notwithstanding its wealth and resources, have not been getting 
enough of the right kinds of food.”

“Finally, to many who have not had a food garden before, will come
 the real delight of eating fruits and vegetables as they are picked 
– fresh, crisp and delectable, instead of bruised by many handlings,
 wilted by the sun during long journeys to market, and with much of their
 natural goodness lost before they finally reach the family table.”

 There is nothing like enjoying fresh fruits and vegetables straight from the earth.  I can’t wait until next year!

A garden at Nazareth Farm in West Virginia

2 comments:

  1. MOM, WE NEED TO PLANT A PEACH TREE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Peach trees can look so pretty when they flower so an added bonus. It is spring where I live and because I had my new flower garden ready before I finished the no dig vegie garden I planted out my first tomato seedling in with the flowers because like you I don't like store bought tomatoes. Actually I ended up planting a few veg with the flowers and a few herbs, things I just can't live without in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete