Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

1944 CAULDRON




It is an interesting moment in life when one first catches a glimpse of what their parents were like before children appeared.  For me, this moment came years ago while looking through the Downers Grove High School Yearbook from 1944.  There, I saw my Mother, shyly glancing at the camera.  There, I saw my Father, a rambunctious cheer leader and comedic actor. 
Today is his 86th birthday.  86! 

He never tires of telling the story of how he met his future wife.  Word is that they were in the same Spanish class.  She was a good student.  He, not so much, at least as far as language was concerned.  They were seated next to each other.  My Mom says it’s because she was so quiet that by seating them together, the teacher thought he would quiet down and study. He ended up dropping out of the class.  He still, however, managed to stop by and talk to the quiet girl he was just getting to know. 

That year, they attended a dance together.  My Dad tells how he walked all the way to my Mom’s house to pick her up, and then together they walked to the high school.  After the dance, they walked to town to eat.  Finally, he walked her home, and then had to walk all the way back to his house.  The smile on his face as he tells the story is priceless.


Fast forward not quite 70 years, nine children, many grandchildren, and even a few great grandchildren later.

What lessons have I learned from them?  Too many to tell.  But a few stand out. 


Everyone makes mistakes.

It takes strength to seek forgiveness.

It takes strength to give forgiveness.  

Love is a decision. 

Thanks, Mom and Dad. 

Oh, and Happy Birthday Dad!

1 comment:

  1. This is really good! I want to borrow the Cauldron and look through it again sometime. I hope Grandpa's party went well!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete