Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Sarah Crewe or What Happened at Miss Minchin’s



By Frances Hodgson Burnett
Copyright 1903


The edition of Sarah Crewe that I remember from childhood was a thin paperback copy.  I was happy to find this beautiful edition from 1903 to add to my collection.  The handwritten inscription inside reads “Helen E. Tompson Feb 14th 1906”.  The cover is in great shape for a 110 year old book and the pages are surprisingly thick.  I would turn a page and think I had several pages stuck together.  The story of The Little Princess is quite well known but it was actually preceded by Sarah Crewe by several years.  Sarah Crewe’s story was originally published in serial form in a magazine.  Burnett’s publisher encouraged her to expand the story, and in 1905 The Little Princess was published.  

This short story pictured here, Sarah Crewe or What Happened at Miss Minchin’s, is the only one I knew as a child.  It wasn’t until years later that I discovered the more popular, longer version.  I loved the book and read it many times.  I recall imagining myself in poor little Sarah’s position.  When she was sent up to the attic to live, I dreamed of having my own quiet all-alone attic room.  It wouldn’t matter if it was bare and cold - I longed for a room like Sarah’s.  What I didn’t imagine (and fortunately, couldn’t imagine) was the hunger that Sarah felt while she sat in her attic room.  I do remember being impressed with Sarah Crewe’s kindness toward a starving and dirty little homeless girl.  Although suffering from hunger herself, Sarah unselfishly gave the other girl most of the rolls purchased with a four-penny piece she found in the street.  
 
Kind little Sarah Crewe, with the help of her active imagination, bravely endured whatever came her way.  She started the story as the rich, favored pupil.  At her father’s death, she became the abused, neglected servant girl.  Then, by the end of the book, Sarah is once again wealthy and cared for.  Her personality, however, is steadfast.  She is still kind, loving, and unselfish.  She still has her imagination and love of stories.   Her outward circumstances did not affect her inward spirit.  That trait is what I find most honorable.  To remain honest and giving and to keep a positive attitude despite one’s circumstances in life is difficult – but what I strive for nonetheless.  
Thank you for the beautiful book quilt, Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment