Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2016

A Very Young Gymnast



By Jill Krementz
Copyright 1978

Only once every four years does this happen – I get my fill of watching gymnastics on television!  Gymnastics is a sport that isn’t often covered in the news.  I usually have to search the internet for information on athletes and competitions.  This week, though, I was inundated with news on the Final Five team of women who have spent their whole young lives struggling to achieve an amazing goal.  And struggle is putting it mildly.  Their commitment and drive is amazing and fortunately enabled them to achieve their goal of gold.

Watching all this gymnastics brought to mind a book, at one time a favorite, which is still on my shelf.  A Very Young Gymnast highlights the life of Torrence York, a ten year old whose dream is to become an Olympic Gymnast.  The book is full of photos of Torrence with her teammates, at practice and competitions, and at home with her family.  In most she is smiling, but in one we see her crying from pain and frustration. 

I loved this book because I loved gymnastics.  I admired this young girl’s dedication and skill.  Never once, though, do I remember aspiring to be her.  I loved the sport merely because it was fun and I enjoyed practice.  I knew I never had it in me to dedicate so much of my life to such a physically tough activity!  Likewise, when I see what today’s Olympic gymnasts do and how they got there, I think they – and their families – are crazy! 

Still, these girls inspire me.  They show me that to achieve something great – no matter what the goal is – it has to be something I love to do.  The dedication they have would be impossible without a true love of their sport and a drive that comes from deep within.  If you love what you do, you’ll want to put in the necessary blood, sweat, and tears.  You will be willing to keep pushing, even if the chances of landing on top of the podium are slim!


No comments:

Post a Comment