Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2016

90 Things We Love About You


2016

 I’m breaking from tradition here, but I think the situation calls for it.  Rather than pondering a vintage book, I’m pondering a brand new book about a very vintage person.  My father’s 90th birthday was this week and my sister worked tirelessly putting together a book for him.  She gathered the thoughts of his many descendants and organized them into a listing of 90 Things We Love About You.  A sampling of photos from his 90 years supplement the text by bringing to life some fond memories.

Because the span of years in which his children were born is so great, with 18 years between the oldest and youngest, the memories are quite varied.  There are things the oldest few remember that the youngest ones never experienced, and vice versa.  Reading through the memories, I’ve learned some things about my dad that I never knew before.  Scouting was a huge part of his life for many years, but I wasn’t born yet, so I never saw that part of him.  Long road trips out west to Albuquerque were great memories for me, yet it was mostly the three youngest that got to experience those vacations.

We do hold some memories in common, though.  I think we all know lyrics to some pretty unusual songs!

We all remember the awesome back yard playhouse and have many fond recollections of adventures surrounding it, but some remember it being built, while I remember it eventually being taken down. 

Mostly, though, we all learned the profound effect that 90 years of one life can have on a person, on a family, and on the world!

Happy 90th birthday, Dad!








No comments:

Post a Comment