Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Go, Dog. Go!



By P.D. Eastman
Copyright 1961

With rhythmic repetition of words and simple silly phrases this I Can Read It All By Myself Beginner Book is a winner.  It introduces colors and prepositions with words and pictures and shows a wide diversity of dogs – all colors and sizes. 


As a child, this book was one of my favorites.  I liked when it was read to me and it was easy to read by myself, perhaps because I knew the text by heart.  I can remember my favorite picture was the dogs all snoozing in one big bed – except for the one dog with his eyes wide open while his friends all sleep.  I could relate to that insomniac dog!

The “do you like my hat” sub plot is fun. 

 Do you like my hat?  I do not like it.  Good-by! Good-by!  

Anyone familiar with this book remembers that cute little girl dog trying to impress the boy dog with increasingly fancy hats.  In the end, she finally gets him with an elaborate party hat. 
 
“I do.  What a hat!  I like it!  I like that party hat!” he states just before they ride off into the sunset together.  

This is an effective and fun book for children just learning to read and certainly no life lesson is necessary. 

But hey, girl dog – if you like your hat and he doesn’t – stop trying to impress him and either go to the dog party by yourself or find yourself another dog that does like your hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment