Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory



By Roald Dahl
Copyright 1964



Charlie Bucket is fascinated by his Grandpa’s tales of Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory.  When the story gets out that Wonka has hidden five golden tickets inside individual chocolate bars, Charlie is doubtful that he can win.  His family is dirt poor and can’t afford such indulgences as candy.  Charlie does find a ticket of his own, though, and along with his Grandpa Joe enters the magical world of the chocolate factory.  The greed of the other four children leaves honest Charlie as the last child, and the one who eventually inherits Wonka’s incredible factory.  


Several important life lessons can be taken from this story.  The dangers of greed and the importance of honesty are key themes here.  However, a personal lesson I’ve learned from this story is gratefulness.  The likelihood of winning the big prize that Charlie won is slim – one in millions.  


But what about the chocolate bar?  Isn’t that a prize in itself?


I remember one day, way back in the early 70’s, I was dropped off, along with my sister Amy and my brother Adam, at our neighborhood library for a program.  It was a viewing of the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  All attendees, at the end of the movie, were given a chocolate bar.  Inside a few bars would be a golden ticket.  I don’t recall for sure what the prize was, but I’m guessing it was a copy of the book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  I didn’t win, and neither did Adam or Amy, but I don’t remember being terribly disappointed. 


After all, I got a chocolate bar!  


You may dream big – but sometimes you just have to enjoy the chocolate.  Don’t overlook the gift you have in front of you for something unreachable or unlikely.

No comments:

Post a Comment