Pages

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Seventeen



Young America’s Favorite Magazine
April 1976  .75 cents





I don’t think I ever read Seventeen Magazine when I was 17 years old.  I pored over the pages of my older sister’s copies as a 10 year old.  I know that because when I found this vintage issue, I actually remembered some of the articles.  Likewise, when my own children were teens, I always read their copies.  It is interesting to compare today’s content with that of 38 years ago.  

The first difference that I noticed is the advertisements in the 1976 Seventeen Magazine that are directed towards engagement rings, hope chests, silver patterns, and even a crock pot.  These references toward marriage are completely omitted from today’s Seventeen. 

Fashion photographs abound in both the modern and vintage issues.  Besides the obvious difference in styles, the vintage magazine contains many photos of clothing you can make yourself – with a pattern and a sewing machine!

In 1976, Columbia House had a two-page ad, showing all the recordings you can choose from if you join the Selection of the Month club.  You even had the choice of record album or 8-track!  I still remember falling asleep listening to music from my sister’s 8-track player.  I think I remember hearing Neil Diamond singing with that quality of sound you can only get from an 8-track.  I still listen to a few Neil Diamond songs, but the I-pod gives him a much different sound.    

 





















The Seventeen of years ago contains quite a few references towards losing weight.  There are ads for camps for overweight girls and an ad for a weight reducing candy.  If you send in your order for the candy, you’ll get free, fun decals with such inspiring messages as “A slip of the lip pads the hip” or “only a dummy has too much tummy”.  Wow! Fortunately, today’s Seventeen focuses more on healthy body image, nutrition, and exercise.  


Reading the articles, letters to the editor, and advice columns, I can see that while the magazine’s content may have changed slightly, fashion and hair styles are quite different, and teen culture has evolved, a 17 year old from 1976 has more in common with today's 17 year old than you might think.  They are still struggling to be accepted – they are still searching for their place in the world – they still want to fit in yet maintain their individuality.  If only we would let them.

No comments:

Post a Comment