Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Lüscher Color Test


“The remarkable test that reveals personality through color”
Translated and edited by Ian Scott
Based on the original German text by Dr. Max Lüscher
Copyright 1969

I recently acquired this copy of The Lüscher Color Test through Amazon Used Books.  Childhood memories of playing with the color cards prompted me to look for my own copy, since the one that had been on the basement bookshelf in my childhood home is long gone.  I was probably nine or ten when I would take out the eight cards out and follow the directions inside the front cover to determine what my color preferences could tell me about my psycho-physical state.  Of course, the book also cautions that the color test is not a parlor game and should be conducted by a professional.  I just thought it was fun to sort the cards in order of preference and then, after referencing what that meant, resort the cards until they told me what I wanted to hear.

This afternoon, I decided to retest myself to see if I could get some new revelations about my psychological health.  

Happily, I am, for the most part, a “healthy, normally balanced individual who is free from conflicts and repressions”.  I say for the most part because, since I put green after the first five, I have a tendency to feel slightly “reduced in stature” by the lack of recognition I sometimes perceive.  Is that a comment about my height?  I just thought it was a really strange shade of green.

My strong preference for the bright yellow and red cards shows that I want to live life to the fullest and enjoy new experiences.  If I had preferred gray and black, my outlook would obviously not be as optimistic.

While I am not a psychological professional and I did treat this activity as a game, I do believe it is true that colors can have a profound effect on our moods.  Surrounding oneself with with calming blues and greens will inspire different reactions than immersion in brilliant reds and yellows.  It follows logically that a strong preference for one color and dislike for another could shine the light on personality traits.  

As this brutal, frigid, snowy winter we are experiencing continues on, a walk through the colorful fresh flower section at Trader Joe’s does wonders for my mood.  Next time I go, I think I’ll indulge in some brightly colored tulips to offset the grey skies and dirty snow.  I’ll even appreciate the green of the leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment