Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Little Red Riding Hood



A PeePul Pals Playstory Book
As told by Eileen Daly
illustrated by Elfreda
copyright 1967





Don’t talk to strangers and listen to your mother.  These are the basic lessons a young child can learn from the story of Little Red Riding Hood.  I was naturally quiet and (almost) always obedient, so I don’t think I really needed drilling on those lessons.  Still, I loved having this book read to me, over and over.   

This version is not as scary as most.  The wolf doesn’t eat Grandma.  Instead, Grandma runs away to get the woodcutter.  Then the woodcutter arrives in time to save Red Riding Hood.  In the illustrations, even the most menacing of the wolf’s expressions aren’t really scary. 



As a child, Little Red Riding Hood was my Halloween costume year after year.  I remember my mother sitting at the kitchen table with her old sewing machine, working hard on a little red cape and hood.  I must have been four or five the first year I wore it and probably ten or eleven the last time.  That little red cape and hood got much use over the years.  Once, it was even worn by my mother for a costume party.  She went as Little Red while my Dad was the wolf dressed like Grandma.  While I sadly have no pictures of myself in the costume, I’m so glad I have photographic proof of Mom and Dad dressed up!


I may not have learned many life lessons from this tale, but I have learned a couple from the costume.  


First, homemade Halloween costumes are the best!  


Second, and most importantly, laugh at yourself and let others laugh at you.  That Halloween party was twenty years ago this year and we still get joy from remembering my Mom and Dad dressed as Red Riding Hood and the Wolf!

No comments:

Post a Comment