Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Words as Pictures



Just as I thought she would, my sister-in-law quickly e-mailed me last week after reading my post.  I had written about my vivid memories of the illustrations in my favorite childhood books, and wondered what a person without the sense of sight would recall.  Kathy gave me permission to post her comments. 

  "I remember the people who read to me, but I remember the stories, and the way the words were magic.

    When I was six, we got the Nutcracker Suite album, and I loved the music. I think my sister was dancing to The Waltz of the Flowers in her ballet class. I was just a beginning ballet student, so I couldn't dance to anything that cool!

    With the record came a storybook of the Nutcracker. I begged to be read it again and again. I must have a good imagination, because I pictured the scenes from the story vividly. I still find the story and music wonderful!

    I have always loved words, and learned to read early and well so I could read on my own. But the act of listening to my grandmother, and on rare occasions my mom, dad or sister, were so special. My grandmother and sister made books come alive.


    Books always have been magical to me and I love authors who paint word pictures. Brian Jacques is a good example of that. I also loved the Little House books, and often imagined myself to be Laura. Mary was way too good for a naughty brat like me!"


I agree with Kathy that words can be magic.  The ability of an author to paint these magical word pictures is a true gift.  I guess that no matter who we are, the words form different pictures in each of our minds.  Regardless, reading to a child provides memories that will last them a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment