Pages

Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Black Stallion


By Walter Farley
Copyright 1941

A lot of girls spent their childhoods dreaming of owning their own horse, but I was never one of them.  That’s probably why I somehow missed reading the classic horse books and have never been interested in horse-themed movies.  However, when I saw this book at the local Goodwill store, I couldn’t pass it up.  I was pleasantly surprised at this story. 
   

Farley tells story of a teen age boy who is shipwrecked on an island with a wild horse that was also on board.  As the only two survivors, Alec and Black come to depend on each other.  Alec’s patience and kindness give him the ability to build a trusting relationship with the powerful horse.  After getting rescued, Alec brings Black home with him to New York.  A neighbor, who is a former racehorse trainer, sees the incredible strength and power in Black, and along with Alec, attempt to harness his energy in order to race.


This is an exciting, descriptive story of adventure that shows a loving relationship between a boy and a horse. More than that, though, this is a story of respect and trust in any relationship. Black was a wild, uncontrollable, potentially violent horse.  It is only with Alec’s understanding of this, along with extreme patience and kindness, that Black is able to trust only him.  

This story reminds me to accept the innate traits that each person possesses.  To try to reign in someone’s personality to fit what we think they should be is futile.  Understanding, patience, kindness.  Next time I come across a person who exasperates me, I’ll have to try to remember those words!

No comments:

Post a Comment