Pages

Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Happy Pixies’ Cookbook


Kitchen Fun for Little Cooks

A Hallmark Play-Time Book

I couldn’t find a copyright date in this little book, but I’m sure I received it in the early 70’s.  This was my very first cook book and I loved it because of the simplicity of the recipes.  As a very young child, I was so proud to be able to make some of the treats in this book all by myself.  I distinctly remember my favorite being Ronny Rooster’s Sugar Toast.  

“’Cockle-doodle-doo,’ sings Ronny Rooster every time we Pixies carry a slice of Sugar Toast to him.  We laugh to see how happy Sugar Toast makes Ronny Rooster.  Sugar Toast will make you happy, too.  It is just a little harder to fix- but not too hard.”

It’s hard to imagine now, but to a young child, reading the directions to a recipe, toasting bread, spreading butter on it and sprinkling a bit of cinnamon and sugar was a stretch of my skills.  Therefore, success meant confidence gained.

Recently, along with another woman about my age, I figured out how to use a circular saw in order to cut boards to a certain length for some garden beds.  I had no previous experience using any power tools before.  In fact, before that day I wasn’t even sure what a circular saw looked like!  But guess what?  Georgette and I figured it out and were successful (and safe) in our task!  Just like making Sugar Toast as a young child, learning how to use that circular saw meant confidence gained.  

I was reminded that I should reach outside my comfort zone more often.  After all, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

No comments:

Post a Comment