Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sleepover List


By Adrian Claus

Written around 1976

Today’s selection is not a book, but a forgotten item I found in one of my favorite childhood books.


 list

1. 1 shirt
2. 1 pants
3. 1 socks
4. 1 slippers
5. 1 nightgown
6. 1 speeping bag (I think I meant sleeping bag)
7. 1 Underpants
tooth brush and toothpaste
brush and comb



I wonder if I could have packed without this list.  Might I have forgotten my nightgown and my “speeping bag”?  And I wonder why I capitalized Underpants, and not any other items?  Did I think Underpants were more important than anything else?  

I can assume that this list was made before one of my countless sleepovers at Karen’s house.  For several years, I think we had a few sleepovers every week during summer vacations, alternating between my house and hers.  The only thing that confuses me is why I didn’t write down that I needed to bring Freddy.  I guess that was just a given.  My little brown stuffed dog always went along to our sleepovers.  Otherwise, Karen’s Red Baby would have been lonely!  Yes, Red Baby was aptly named.  Her molded head was kept attached to her red cloth body with a scarf wound around the neck.  Love comes in all shapes and sizes!

This little half index card is a treasure.  It brings to mind memories of a carefree childhood with a lifelong friend.  

If you are interested in hearing about what other people have left in books, check out  Forgotten Bookmarks.  In this blog, a used bookseller shows items that people have left in the pages of books. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Freddy! Kathy Mouse says "Hi." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy Mouse! I miss you. You were always the best dressed little mouse!

    ReplyDelete